From 'Vocabulary' part of The ABC Of Plain Words by Sir E Gowers (1951)

This word, says Fowler, is chiefly used in flabby ,journalese. It is not unknown in official writing. There are plenty of simpler words with similar meaning to choose from — happen, occur, result, come about, turn out.

Materialise is also overworked in much the same way.

« Guide » « ABC of Plain Words » « Use Of English » « Library » « Home »