Australians of the 1990s revealed by their behaviour that they were unfettered by any morality except convenience while demonstrating an understanding crippled by conceit.
A minute's silence, observed by a crowd at a football match in Sydney (1995), lasts for about twenty seconds. Though the actual interval is nominally imposed by ground officials, this devaluation of respect is really set by the meagre patience of the spectators. Any longer would only be in theory, as restless supporters would disturb the quiet with a growing hum of discontent. So it would only be half the story to consider the performance of managers, without considering the character of their charges.
Collapse of Parental Authority
Popular contempt for the Royal family by Australians in 1990s springs from a fundamental change in the way people view authority, which in turn is a reflection of the way parental authority is regarded in the family. The firm rule by a strict father has been placed by the misrule of an indulgent mother. Strict lessons in patience, modesty and self-sacrifice have been discarded in favour of easy licence. Contemporary upbringing is unconcerned with imbuing the qualities of citizenship, but aims only to supply offspring with a good time. The old adage "Spare the rod and spoil the child" has changed from a warning to an edict, making modern parents servants not masters of their children; an attitude spawned by indulging the biological urge of mothers to idolise their progeny; and a practice that must undermine all authority, order and inevitably civilization.
Inevitable Ramifications Of Indulging Children
Indulging our instincts to revere children has unavoidable ramifications :
1. Children are considered sacred so sexual relations with a child is desecration, elevating the importance of this act to a principal consideration of our legal system. So determining if an adult 'sexually abused' a child, has filled the law courts, ruined countless adult lives, and given the power to every child to damn any adult. An ability that must further undermine the exercise of authority.
2. Children are considered blameless so children can't be held responsible for their actions.
3. Children are not to be hurt has inspired the belief that striking offspring should be forbidden. So it has become popular to consider the imposition of discipline by smacking is not only unnecessary but positively harmful for the child. A notion that has given rise to the idea that suffering and ill-treatment during childhood are the root of all adult evil; with physical admonishment being considered part of this ill-treatment. The presumption behind such a concept is that children would normally become respectable, responsible, mature adults unless their upbringing was perverted - an absurd idea. There is no reason to believe that any code of conduct is natural or will be embraced without instruction and reinforcement (see old story).
4. Children remain selfish a quality that confers cowardice and foolishness.
The Character Of The Community
The unavoidable result is a community of spoilt children of all ages who are:
• Cowardly which is why Australia remained silent in the face of Iranian death threats to Salman Rushdie and paranoia is widespread in the community
• Foolish Unrestrained by any imbued code of self-discipline, citizens' understanding is ruled by their feelings, which corrupts their reasoning. This has resulted in the widespread popularity of delusions, the distortion of communal thinking and the widespread discarding of reason.
• Tyrannical Being selfish means being tyrannised by your emotions. Moral values, the freedom or rights of others, is of no concern; only your own feelings matter. If you fear cigarettes and give up smoking then all cigarettes should be banned. If you dislike litter or dog droppings then these must be banned. And this of course means demanding laws that coerce others into becoming slaves of your feelings.
• Irresponsible If something goes wrong it must be the fault of someone else.
• Unmanageable (see also "The Crumbling Of Order")
|« NEXT »||« Public Confirmation »||« Our Decline »||« Home »|