Several members of this old ducal family had distinguished themselves in Church and State, e. g.
1. Anne Jules (1650-1708), marshal of France, who persecuted the Huguenots;
2. Louis Antoine, his brother (1651-1729), Archbishop of Paris and Cardinal;
3. Adrien Maurice (1678-1766), also marshal, who was in the War of the Austrian Succession;
4. his son Louis was a private agent of Louis XVI.;
5. the Vicomte, Louis Marie (1756-1804), brother of (4), with the Duke d'Aiguillon took a leading part in the Assembly.